One of my favorite places to eat in Astoria is 5 Napkin Burger. Â Now before you start thinking this is another Astoria post, there are locations in Hell’s Kitchen and the Upper West Side too!
I’ve only eaten at the Astoria location, and I have to say, it is a great addition to the neighborhood. Â First, it’s huge, so it’s like dining in the ‘burbs. Â I’ve never waited for a table, and it’s a perfect place for a big party. Â Best of all, they have my favorite seating arrangement – the round booth. Â Now that it is a little warmer out, 5 Napkin added 60 seats outside. Â I tried it this weekend and it was a little chilly since the restaurant was in the shade, but I can see myself making use of this outdoor space all summer.
I’ve been to 5 Napkin for a media tasting before, as well as on my own several times. Â Whether visiting for birthdays, get-togethers with friends or dates, it’s always is a crowd pleaser.
Since I’ve been there quite a few times, I guess what might be most helpful is to share my favorite dishes (and not so favorite dishes). Â It’s interesting to note that not only does 5 Napkin have a lot of burger options, but there are sushi options as well. Â I know, sushi at a burger place sounds strange, but I tried the sushi at a media tasting several months back, and it was good!
- Grilled barbecue spiced mahi mahi fish tacos: Yes, I know I ordered fish tacos at a burger place, but these are to
die for. Â First, I loved that the mahi mahi is grilled, Â not breaded. Â I also loved the toppings in the taco – a chipotle crema, avocado and pineapple salsa. Â Yum! It may be my new go-to at 5 Napkin.
- Bacon cheddar burger: This burger is my fave on the burger menu. Â And true to its name, you will need 5 Napkins because this burger is certainly juicy. Â Ask for some 5 Napkin sauce on the side – it’s a mix of ketchup and mayo – and is a must to put on your burger. Â Also – burgers at 5 Napkin are on the rarer side, so I usually order medium.
- Tater tots: These aren’t your cafeteria’s tots. Â Picture mashed potatoes, with a tot like shell (or see the photo!). Â These are heaven and you must have 5 Napkin sauce accompanying them.
- Hell’s Kitchen wings: I had these wings a few months back, but they weren’t your average wing. Â These were huge and it was like having a meal in itself with just one wing.
- Buffalo chicken sandwich: Sometimes I’ll split the burger with my roommate, and split this sandwich as well. Â The sandwich is a little messy, but it’s really good and does pack some heat on it, thanks to the sauce.
Wouldn’t Order Again:
- Original 5 Napkin Burger: This burger hasÂ caramelizedÂ onions, rosemary aioli and gruyere on it. The reason I wouldn’t order it again is because the rosemary just over powers the entire dish.
- Lobster roll sliders: Surprisingly, some bars have really good lobster rolls. Â These lobster sliders were just okay, and didn’t rank high on my lobster list.
We love deals, and 5 Napkin has a great happy hour. Â Through Thursday, they’ll be bringing their happy hour outdoors in their new seating area at the Astoria location. Â Happy Hour runs from 4pm – 7pm and includesÂ $2 sliders (turkey, veggie & originalÂ 5Â NapkinÂ Burger), $.50 Hellâ€™s Kitchen Wings, $2 Pork Tacquitos (tray of 4) and $4 drafts.
All in all, it’s safe to say I’m a big fan of 5 Napkin Burger and I’ll definitely be returning again soon. Â I will say though for my budgetÂ conscientiousÂ readers – the only downside is that sides aren’t served with your meal, so my beloved tater tots are ordered a la carte ($4.25). Â One side though is enough for two people, so just make sure your dining partner is a fan of tots and you’ll be all set!The Basics Name: 5 Napkin Burger Location: 35-01 36th St, Astoria (at 35th Ave) and Hell’s Kitchen and Upper West Side Who to bring: Friends, parents, date Price: $$ most entrees around $11 – $13 Overall: One of my go-to spots. Â 5 stars.